Go to the Russian text Site's map Home page Our awards E-mail Guest book Palace Park History Information School of arts Development programs Our friends Image gallery




PALACE  


The Pavlovsk Palace
The Palace Rooms
  Collections»
The Interior museum
Restoration




Though the building and decoration of the Palace was carried out by a succession of architects, its interiors and architecture show a great unity of style; the Palace's decor is completely integrated with its architecture. Its vast art collections won the Palace world renown.

Select collection:



DECORATIVE BRONZE

Alongside beautiful examples of French bronzework, superb in form and finish, the Pavlovsk Palace houses many beautiful bronzes of Russian make produced in St Petersburg. The talented bronzeworkers Vastly Mozhalov and Vasily Yevdokimov were graduates of the casting and chasing class established at the Academy of Arts in 1719. In the 1770s, the first state factory was founded in St Petersburg. Among private bronze workshops in St Petersburg the workshop of the Frenchman Pierre Agie was especially popular. Agie carried out commissions for the state and taught students at the Academy of Arts. In 1804, leaving St Petersburg, he sold his workshop with all its equipment, models and drawings to Count Stroganov, President of the Academy of Arts, who at the same time headed the Peterhof and Yekaterinburg Lapidary Works. To decorate stone articles produced at these factories with bronze mounts, a well-equipped bronze production was necessary, and the newly acquired workshop was to serve this purpose. In November 1804, the workshop, now part of the Academy of Arts, made first objects in bronze for the Imperial court. These were small-scale decorations, bronze mounts of stone vases, bronze sculptures for the adornment of articles in porcelain and semi-precious stones, mounts of huge stone lamps decorating the Imperial country palaces and the Hermitage. The architect Andrei Voronikhin supervised the artistic side of production. The bronze factory employed eminent sculptors Ivan Prokofyev and Semion Pimenov as modelers. Andrei Voronikhin and Franz Hattenberger, who headed the Imperial Porcelain Factory in the first decade of the nineteenth century, also provided designs for objects in bronze.

The Pavlovsk Palace Museum has preserved a large number of bronzes produced by eighteenth-century Russian artists in numerous private St Petersburg workshops.

In the 1820s, many St Petersburg furniture companies had their own bronze workshops. In addition to making bronze ornaments for furniture, they produced various household objects, such as chandeliers, candelabra, clock-cases, etc.



Pair of lamps in the antique style. 1780-5. Pair of lamps in the antique style.
1780-5.

 
Pair of lamps in the antique style. 1785.Pair of lamps in the antique style.
1785.

 
'Chenet' with dogs. 1765-70.'Chenet' with dogs.
1765-70.

 
'Chenet' with figures
of women reading. 1780-85.'Chenet' with figures
of women reading.
1780-85.

'Chenet'- one from a pair. 1785-90.'Chenet' with sphinxes. 1785.
'Chenet'- one from a pair.
1785-90.

 
'Chenet' with sphinxes.
1785.

 
'Chenet', one of a pair. 1785.'Chenet' with griffons. 1780.
'Chenet', one of a pair.
1785.
'Chenet' with griffons.
1780.



© Pavlovsk, 1999-2006