Go to the Russian text Site's map Home page Our awards E-mail Guest book Palace Park History Information School of arts Development programs Our friends Image gallery




PALACE  


The Pavlovsk Palace
The Palace Rooms
  Collections»
The Interior museum
Restoration




Though the building and decoration of the Palace was carried out by a succession of architects, its interiors and architecture show a great unity of style; the Palace's decor is completely integrated with its architecture. Its vast art collections won the Palace world renown.

Select collection:



GERMAN PAINTING

German Painting of the 18th century includes three most famous names of that time - A.R. Mengs, J.P. Hackert and A. Kauffmann.

Allegory of Diligence in Drawing by A. R. Mengs was acquired from the famous Rome antiquary T. Jenkins. Two pictures of A. Kauffmann were ordered to her during the visit of Maria Feodorovna at her workshop in Venice. At that time the artist had returned from England, so she chose the subjects from the medieval history.

From the 19 masterpieces of J. P. Hackert that had been on display in Pavlovsk up to 1930, only one remains the today. It depicts a view of Rome. This picture was commissioned together with four other ones during Pavel and Maria Feodorovna's visit to Rome.

Madonna and Child. A. Kauffmann. (1741-1807) The Recovery of Eleanor. A. Kauffmann. (1741-1807)
Madonna and Child.
A. Kauffmann. (1741-1807)

 
The Recovery of Eleanor.
A. Kauffmann. (1741-1807)
View of Rome from the park of Villa Conti at Frascati. J.P. Hackert. (1737-1807) Allegory of Painting. A. R. Mengs. (1728-79)
View of Rome from the park
of Villa Conti at Frascati.
J.P. Hackert. (1737-1807)
Allegory of Painting.
A. R. Mengs. (1728-79)




© Pavlovsk, 1999-2006